Friday, June 1, 2012

NYC Dessert Tour - May 2012

Dessert #1 - Frozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity

The strangest thing happened a couple weeks ago. I totally forgot that Darin had vacation scheduled for the third week of May. Don't worry - my agenda was filled with the most important scheduling details (such as the time of body pump class or when to sign up for story time at the library), but missing was a week blocked out 'DARIN VACATION'.  So, 2.5 weeks into May when Darin made some comment about his vacation, and I responded 'cool - when is that, like August?' and then realized my oversight - I went into last minute vacation planning overdrive. It was a little hectic.  Do we stay here and do house projects? I really really need to organize the basement. And we really really need to organize our computer. But, nahhhhh. When so many fantastic destinations are at your fingertips - one must go. Go for adventure!!!! The question is where?

Hershey is ideally situated with easy access to Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, NYC, Washington DC and so much more. The true desire of my heart was to visit my dear friend Amber in NYC. And within my heart lived the hope that it would be possible to do it on such short notice. I can not thank Amber enough for letting me come and hang out with her and her daughter Eliza for a few days. It was so much fun to catch up and see an insider's NYC. It was dreamy, and refreshing in a way only New York can be. And thank you Darin for letting me go solo, while you took the boys camping in the rain. :) I might feel a little guilty, but then I know the boys were also living out their dream scheme and Darin was heading solo to Florida at the end of his vacation for a brothers trip.

We set the plan: our family together for the first weekend in Philadelphia, I would then take train from Philly to NYC, Darin would take boys camping. After a few days, we would rendezvous back in Hershey for a couple days, and then Darin was heading to Florida for a brothers trip the concluding weekend. (Florida had been in the works for a while but somehow didn't register in my mind that it meant Darin taking off the whole week prior). Planning and packing for all said trips in 36 hours is CRAZY, but it worked out surprisingly well. We reserved a hotel in Philadelphia for the first couple days of vacation, did a tad of research on things to do in Philadelphia, reserved a camp sight for Darin and the boys, packed for camping (I will never know how packing for camping takes soooooooo long), reserved train for me to NYC and just went for it. I didn't have a plan for NYC - other than to play with Amber and maybe go to the Met. 

Started off Monday morning with a run through Riverside Park. Beautiful. Then, it was off to the first and only item on the agenda: the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was Monday and the Met is closed on Monday. (No worries, we went back the next day and it was radical). Another thing to remember, most Broadway shows are also closed on Mondays. So, our rainy Monday turned into best day ever = NYC Dessert Tour (with shopping mixed throughout).  A crazed New York woman who stole our cab did not cramp our style. Amber is super saavy with NYC transport, so we zipped around from place to place on the buses and on the subway.

Bloomingdales with its warming embrace from the torrential downpour outside.

Nice selection Eliza, Kate Spade is always classy!

Bloomingdales!

We then walked a block from Bloomingdales for lunch at Serendipity.

Serendipity!

Dessert #2 - Candy at Dylan's Candy Bar 

Dessert #3 - Cupcakes at Crumbs. Ummm, what to choose. What to choose.

A dessert break - shopping.  This random building by Nordstrom Rack with what appears a wizard exterior.

Lovely dress in a boutique window.

Another dessert break - Pizza at Big Nick's. The picture is deceiving. The box was actually much bigger than it appears. I had to tilt it vertically to get it out of the restaurant door.

Another dessert break - a swear I grabbed some veggies at the neighborhood grocer.

Now that is a cheese selection!

Dessert #4 - Magnolia Bakery. Check out the red velvet cheesecake.

Dessert #5 - cookies at Momo Fuku Bar. Really tasty and unique cookies (think cornflake or blueberries and cream).

Don't worry, there were more desserts the next day!

6 comments:

Karrasch Clique said...

So fun! I love the idea of a dessert day...why haven't I ever done that? Now we need to plan a trip to NYC...I can hardly stand it! I can't wait to go :) Fun!

Birna said...

Ohh my what a great week. Most important thing I noticed and I am crazy jealous... Hunter boots so pretty- totally on my must buy list

Jana

Marianne and Brad said...

Umm, can we do a sisters-in-law dessert trip to NYC?? I want to do this so bad! Looks like you had an awesome time!

Marie W said...

Looks fantastic and delicious!

Mary Kendall said...

Super fun! I have actually been to some of those places. Hard to beat Serendipity!
MIss you!

Amber said...

It takes me forever to read blogs but I'm just now reading this. I forgot we ate so many desserts! What else to do on a rainy day :) Come again. I can think of a few dessert places we missed!